Hi Jim,

> Betreff: Re: AW: [Zope3-dev] zope.app.securitypolicy deferred
> imports errors.

[...]

> Yes, please do.  It's up to people making changes to use some
> judgement.  I mentioned in that thread that when I make changes to
> "core" components, I often do test against the old trunk tree.
> Despite all of your complaints about the need to do this, you didn't.

That's not true. I did test the package against the trunk.
But the problem was, I also adjusted the imports in the packages.

What I was missing is to run the tests against a older version of
the trunk.

[...]

> Most people aren't changing these components. Nevertheless, we still
> have the old tree available for testing. We didn't lose anything.

I can agree with, we didn't loose anything. So let's say it's not
just there anymore.

> > And this is a very bad idea. If we don't recommend to run
> > all tests again form a single egg refactoring, we will
> > see more errors like this.
>
> Don't you think it's a little hypocritical bemoaning that we're not
> doing this when you don't do it yourself?

Again, I did run the tests against the runk, but I didn't recognize
that I should test my changes against a older version of packages.

Probably I'm not that smart to take care on everything and was
trusting on testing to much ;-)

I know there is no difference between the old trunk and the new egg
development testing. This error whould also happen to me if I where
doing it in the old trunk setup. My problem was not test my work
against a older version of the trunk. Or like Lennart told,
the missing tests for integration (import changes).

> > I personaly think, less test -- more errors.
>
> So test! What's stopping you?  The old tree is still available!

The crapy "do it by your self test setup" is stopping me really
hard or at least slowing me down right now more then the it should.

It's not easy to follow all the ideas behind egg, setuptools,
easy_install, buildout in such a speed like we changed to this
patterns. I agree "Speed kills", but I think switch to eggs
force us to "take it all or nothing".

Regards
Roger Ineichen

[...]