On Sep 27, 2007, at 7:37 AM, Philipp von Weitershausen wrote:

On 27 Sep 2007, at 12:20 , Stephan Richter wrote:
egg_info does not validate the trove classifiers, for example. I tried this
last night before writing this mail.

Well, to be honest, I wonder how you can mess up with the classifiers. I just always copy them from http://pypi.python.org/ pypi?%3Aaction=list_classifiers. Anything else is just insane...

The classifiers are a PITA. I suspect we should be very restrictive in using them.

It's especially annoying that release status can generally be inferred from the version number.

I'm beginning to wonder if we should have some setuptools extensions that automate some of these things,

Another idea I've been thinking about is a custom index that is used rather than PyPI. The main motivation was to automate management of non-public distributions, but such a front end could also automate some aspects of releases that setuptools doesn't handle.

But, if you wish for such a tool, let your wish be my command. With the attached verifyclassifiers.py script, you may do so using the following command:

  python setup.py --classifiers | python verifyclassifiers.py

Cool.

Jim

--
Jim Fulton