To partly answer my own question, I found this configuration works:

  <!-- Extra Metadata -->
  <!--
  <adapter
    for=".interfaces.IFolderInformable"
    provides=".interfaces.IFolderInfo"
    factory=".folderinfo.FolderInfo"
    trusted="true"
    />
  -->
  <!-- store metadate on a standard folder object -->
  <adapter
    for="zope.app.folder.interfaces.IFolder"
    provides=".interfaces.IFolderInfo"
    factory=".folderinfo.FolderInfo"
    trusted="true"
    />
  <!-- store metadata on a custom content object -->
  <adapter
    for=".interfaces.IGlgPage"
    provides=".interfaces.IFolderInfo"
    factory=".folderinfo.FolderInfo"
    trusted="true"
    />

And the .interfaces.IFolderInfo from my initial posting below is not needed (it should have been .interfaces.IFolderInformable anyway). I don't know why I don't have to configure the abstract IAnnotatable class, perhaps because both classes I am interested in are already IAttributeAnnotatable. I also think I learned a lot about how to use the annotations from page templates. An example:

Sorry this is a bit of a blog, but anyone searching the archives for answers might find it useful.

Cliff

Cliff Ford wrote:

I want to keep some extra metadata in a folder instance (by extra I mean other than Dublin Core). I have produced the components necessary to store the extra metadata on one of my own content objects but I don't know how to change the configuration so that it applies to a normal folder. Can anyone enlighten me?

Cliff

I have this in configure.zcml:

<content class=".mypage.MyPage">
  <implements
    interface="zope.app.annotation.interfaces.IattrubuteAnnotatable
               .interfaces.IFolderInfo"
  />

The .interfaces.IFolderInfo needs to be applied to a folder rather than my own content object.