Thanks for the response. I did google (and searched the list archives)
for previous similar errors, but apparently didn't try the right words
(I found a lot of OSX issues that seemed similar).

In any case, I just reinstalled as an 'ordinary' user, ran 'make
check', and had what look to be similar errors (although there are now
more of them).

[snip: many errors]
ERROR: checkReadMethods (ZEO.tests.testZEO.MappingStorageTests)
Traceback (most recent call last):
line 136, in tearDown
   os.waitpid(pid, 0)
OSError: [Errno 10] No child processes