Create a browser view object with a method that looks up the catalog
utility and performs the search and returns results back to the
template. Basically take what you've learned about writing views that
combine classes and templates, and use code like the following:

    def search(self, query):
        """simple example, query is just a string"""
        catalog = zapi.getUtility(ICatalog, 'catalog', self.context)
        return catalog.searchResults(some_index=query)

Of course, you could take in more search parameters from the form and
pass those in as well.