On Sep 28, 2005, at 7:04 AM, James Allwyn wrote:

Transactions and undo functionality seem to be well-supported in Zope;
I assume that the past states of objects are stored in the database.

Until you pack the database.

For our application it would be useful to access these past states for
an object. I have in mind something along the lines of the wikipedia
History tab, which allows you to see what an object was like at a
given past instance.

The actual Undo functionality is not too important for the
application, and there are certainly users that I would want to be
able to view the past states but not be able to revert (undo) to it.

Since the undo data is already being stored it feels like I should be
able to tap into this to access the past states, without having to
actively store anything - does anyone have any hints on how I might go
about this?

A Zope object versioning system is more appropriate for this case. One take is in the zope trunk now--maybe zope.app.versioning?