Milind Khadilkar wrote:
Is it correct to say that one of the major objectives of Zope 3  as opposed
to zope-x ( viz. compatibility with Zope 2, or at least an easy way for
importing products from zope 2) has not been achieved?

Unfortunately the whole 'X' story was always interpreted differently by different people. It's unfortunate, and our (the Zope 3 project's) mistake, that your interpretation ("Zope 2 products work in Zope 3") ever was made possible in the first place...

The 'x' was removed
on grounds of being ready for production use, not on grounds of
compatibility. The release announcement for 3.1 also mentions continuing
efforts to ease transition from zope 2 to zope 3. Is it meant to be the same
as "ability to import products"?

As Stephan said in his reply, I find it unlikely that you'll ever be able to run Zope 2 products in Zope 3. We're taking the other direction -- Zope 2 products run in Zope 2 obviously, but we're making sure that with Five, more and more Zope 3 code also works in Zope 2. This allows you to start porting code over to Zope 3 while it remains to work in Zope 2.

Five is hardly the perfect transition tool; most of Zope 3 code doesn't work in Zope 2 either without significant modifications. Step by step however this gap is being bridged.