Chris McDonough wrote:
Here is another question. Suppose I'm working with a team of developers. Should we each set up our own separate Zope3 instance, and do SVN checkouts into our own separate, local /lib/python directories inside the instance? How then would we merge any changes done in the ZODB? On the other hand, having all team members try to share a single Zope 3 instance seems unworkable...

I wrote a short treatise on this subject at that you may want to take a look at.
It's written with Zope 2 in mind but the issues and mechanics remain the same.

Ok, so this kind of discussion makes me wonder how much I can do without ZODB, or at least whether I can just use the ZODB files like any other binary files in the SVN repository. Having to write scripts to regenerate them sounds like a lot of ass-ache. Is there any reason why I can't just check in those data.fs files into SVN along with my Python packages, so that other team members can check them out into their respective Zope instances?