On Nov 29, 2005, at 8:07 PM, Brad Allen wrote:

Here is another question. Suppose I'm working with a team of developers. Should we each set up our own separate Zope3 instance, and do SVN checkouts into our own separate, local /lib/python directories inside the instance? How then would we merge any changes done in the ZODB? On the other hand, having all team members try to share a single Zope 3 instance seems unworkable...

I wrote a short treatise on this subject at http://www.plope.com/Members/chrism/zope_collab/view that you may want to take a look at. It's written with Zope 2 in mind but the issues and mechanics remain the same.

Ok, so this kind of discussion makes me wonder how much I can do without ZODB, or at least whether I can just use the ZODB files like any other binary files in the SVN repository. Having to write scripts to regenerate them sounds like a lot of ass-ache. Is there any reason why I can't just check in those data.fs files into SVN along with my Python packages, so that other team members can check them out into their respective Zope instances?

It sounds like a pain, and to be honest, at first it is a bit arduous. Not only does it get faster and become second nature, but chunks of it can be generalized and reused. It really doesn't take that long to get accustomed to it. And once you start doing it regularly, you gain a tremendous amount. Not just in the mere knowledge acquired, either... there's a subtle shift in your programming where you give extra attention to the data-generating/-populating code, which in turn makes you architect your information better ahd brings higher overall levels of organization to your project.

Additionally, the ability to generate a new instance of a project complete with a fresh-and-ready ZODB is of immense value when working on a project with multiple developers or teams of developers. Several times, we have saved literally days of work taking advantage of this. I'm sure others that take even better advantage of this have saved perhaps weeks.

I give it two thumbs up ;-)