On Nov 30, 2005, at 10:38 AM, Brad Allen wrote:

At 2:44 AM -0700 11/30/05, Duncan McGreggor wrote:
Whenever I am told by client that they want me to build an application for them, and they want to be able to add data/content while I do it, I either gently educate them on the proven process that we use, or I walk away from the project. Maintaining content during development is almost always a nightmare. There are tools to use to enable this... approach... but in my mind (and many others') it's just not a good way to do development.

In this case, the users want to start using a message board ASAP. This means they will be adding content to ZODB right away. I don't see how I can get away from having them put content into ZODB.

Just tell them that ASAP == 'when development for the first release has been completed' ;-)

Yeah, I think you're looking for code-based content addition -- is that right? If so, you're going to want to spend some time looking at zope.app.zapi (a lot of which comes from zope.component). In particular, the createObject() function. Take a look at those projects I mentioned above... and other folks may have good suggestions for code examples on site creation and pre-population of content.

Thanks. A little searching turned up <http://www.zope.org/Wikis/ZODB/FrontPage>, which looks like the place for me to dig into. I will also check out the source code. Thanks!

Hmm, again, I think you *might* want to stay away from an approach that interacts directly with the ZODB. Unless you're not using z3/Zope 2...

If you want pre-populated content in a z3 project, you probably want to be creating site instances to which you would add utilities and content.

I may be misperceiving your needs, though...