On Nov 30, 2005, at 12:13 PM, Brad Allen wrote:

Hmm, again, I think you *might* want to stay away from an approach that interacts directly with the ZODB. Unless you're not using z3/Zope 2...

I didn't see this posting until after I started a new thread called
"Direct ZODB access in a Zope3 instance". So, why is it a bad

Well, it's a great idea if your application is non-zope python with a need for "versioned" storage.

It's not such a good idea if your application is a zope app because those app servers do so much of the work for you, with many years of honing put into them.

The best thing to do is learn how to use the app server/framework such that your work is minimized (both short- and long-term) and such that the final product is a stable as possible (building on prior, tested, and proven work).

Direct access in a z3 app is usually made for debugging purposes, and used with the pdb, can be very effective for hunting down and solving issues.

As per your other email, the reason you had problems was because your z3 instance was already running. If you are not using ZEO, you need to stop z3 in order to gain access to the ZODB.

Have you seen Benji's quick start guide? In addition to Stephan Richter's book, you ought to read Philipp von Weitershausen's book too. As of zope3.1, it's a little out of date, but only in a few areas. The conceptual explanations and careful, hands-on, examples-based approach is pure gold. His and Stephan's book are the perfect couple ;-)

  http://worldcookery.com/ (Philipp's book is here)

In addition, I've written a python script that auto-generates a starter z3 project for you, after asking a couple questions. If you want to use it, I'd be more than willing to answer any questions about it (an thus improve it) off-list. You can download it here:

I'll got back to your original post and try to do a better job of answering your questions.