I need a way to keep a transaction active over several
requests and commit it manually afterwords. Currently
the object publisher (or whatever responsible for that)
commits a transaction

One request = one transaction. I think there is no way to get around (this limitation from your point of view). You should store your data in a session and perform the necessary actions at the end of the last step.

AFAIR there is a suspend transaction feature in SQLRelay database connector
but I've never tried this feature in Zope. SQLRelay has DA for Zope 2.x. so
I think it would be necessary to write such thing for Zope 3.x.

Maciej Wisniowski