On Sun, 2006-01-22 at 01:23 -0600, Jeff Rush wrote:
Lennart Regebro wrote:
> On 1/20/06, Roman Susi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>>>- is there any "conception strategy" associated with Zope3 ?
>
> What is a "conception strategy"?

Sounds like he wants a architectural direction document, some kind of
document saying "we created Zope 3 for the following reasons...".  Other
than fun, of course, like what problems in Zope 2 is it trying to solve.

What I was talking about "conception strategy" is "what's the best process to build a new Zope3 application", when starting from scratch ; what do you have to design and developer at first when you have to build a new CMS which may have to handle many different types of documents, using different workflows, several skins (at least one for the public side and one for the administration backend)...

>>>- I've understood that a Zope2 application is absolutely incompatible
>>>with Zope3, but is there any way and/or strategy to convert a Zope2
>>>application and it's database to Zope3 ?
>
> No, you currently have to rewrite the application. Zope 2 and Zope 3
> are gaining compatbility through what is known as "Five" but that's
> mostly interesting if you want to prepare to a move to Zope 3 in the
> future.

My current application is running with Zope 2.6.1. Updating this application for Zope-2.8 or 2.9 to use Five before moving to Zope3 would probably be as painful as rewriting it directly with Zope3... :-( !

Thierry

--
pub  1024D/2C0BF19E 2002-02-18 Thierry FLORAC <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
     Key fingerprint = DDAB A10C F149 8B95 A954  BBC0 9106 C19F 2C0B F19E

believed to be clean.