Once I added the package includes, adding

    for c in columns:
        directlyProvides(c, zc.table.interfaces.ISortableColumn)

did the trick.

I'd love to have a look at your alternate sorting implementation, though will need to get checking privileges before merging. (I'll look into applying for these).

Many thanks,

Laurence