I'd like to create a custom widget for the "Starbucks problem" - my designation - where I need to set an attribute to a path of an external tree, which is stored on LDAP or DBMS.

Basically, the content object has an attribute "store" which is a tuple of (state, city, store_no) and I would manipulate the tuple as a single widget, with three <select> menus.

I'm thinking of declaring it this way:

== interfaces.py ==

class IMyObject(Interface):

   store = Tuple(
       title=u"Store",
       description=u"Store state, city and number",
       required = False,
       min_length = 3,
       max_length = 3,
       value_type=TextLine(title=u"path element")
       )

== browser/configure.py ==

 <addform
   label = "New MyObject"
   name = "AddMyObject.html"
   schema = "myapp.interfaces.IMyObject"
   content_factory = "myapp.myobject.MyObject"
   fields = "store"
   permission = "zope.ManageContent">

   <widget field="store" class=".widget.StarbucksWidget" />

 </addform>

== browser/widget.py ==

class StarbucksWidget(TupleSequenceWidget):

The custom widget will then render all the tree in a javascript object (dictionary of dictionaries of dictionaries) which will fill and change the dropdown menus accordingly. As an improvement, the tree nodes can be retrieved by XmlHttp

Before hitting my head too hard, is this doable?

Is it possible to avoid the bunch of javascript by having the widget re-submit itself at each menu selection? For instance, I select the state, the form resubmits and gives me the choice of cities. How can I tell the first two <select> tags to reload the page? Is it enough to attach an onchange event that calls submit() ?

Thanks