Hi Martin. I can think of the benefits of viewlets in for Zope2 in general, not just in Plone3 but the way they may integrate with CMF particularly. These are good questions you are asking and hopefully there will be a way to make this work sooner than later. I am very interested in how cpsskins v3 will be fitting into the picture also. The Z2 integration will be started soon at a sprint soon. Viewlets and portlets seem pretty synonymous and cpsskins provides a way to manipulate portlets visually which is very nice. The recent posts on formlib integration with viewlets also has my interest since it should make portlet development super easy as well. formlib by itself is pretty sweet on its own. :-)

Martin Aspeli wrote:
Hi guys (sorry for the crosspost, this is rather a cross-area post),

I'm reading the docs for zope.contentprovider and zope.viewlet, and there are many reasons why we'd like to use this in Plone. The way the release cycles work, Plone 3.0 would be the natural place to put some of this. Now, I have a few questions:

- In what version of Zope 3 did zope.contentprovider and zope.viewlet appear? They're not in my Zope 2.9 lib/python/zope.

 - Are they scheduled to be in Zope 2.10?

The main achilles heel as far as I can tell is the TALES 'provider:' expression. I'm guessing that without using the Zope 3 ZPT and TALES implementations, Zope 2 won't be able to use these.

- Is it the intention to use the Zope 3 ZPT and TALES engines in Zope 2.10? If not, are they scheduled for some other time? How much work is needed for this to be a reality?

Now, I have a feeling that this could be faked in Zope 2 with something like:

    <tal:block replace="structure python:provider('provider.name')" />

the object 'provider' would have to be defined globally (in global_defines.pt in Plone). Its implementation would basically be identical to the TALESProviderExpression in zope.contentprovider, with a __call__() method that called update() and render() on an IContentProvider looked up by the name it was passed.

The tricky part is the ITALNamespaceData update magic that needs to read the TAL context:

- Is there some way a python object referred in an expression like the one above could be passed or acquire (literally or figuratively) TAL objects defined in the current context at that point?

- If not, based on your practical experience, how much is this used - would zope.contentprovider and zope.viewlet be useless if Plone had to say "we only support a subset of the zope.contentprovider API" (note: we really don't want to do that, I'm just looking at options here)

The other problem with this implementation is that it would call viewlets/content providers sequentially, i.e. call update(), then render() for each object as it discovered them, not call all the update()'s and then all the render()'s. I note that the zope.contentprovider README.txt mentions that this is bad, but the TALESProviderExpression implementation seems to suffer from exactly the same problem.

- Is this expected behaviour? Is it considered as "known issue"? Are there plans to improve on this?

Thanks a lot!

z3-five mailing list