I've read the code for adapter registries, how there is a global one and any number of local ones, arranged in a tree and that each can be disabled.

But I can't figure out when you'd want to make use of such an arrangement. The docstrings and .txt files use abstract examples, for unit testing, and don't provide a motivation for this feature.

Related to that, the global registry is loaded at server startup time from the various .zcml directives, and I presume that the only way to loaded up a local registry is thru-the-web, right? Which means all local registries are persistent in the ZODB, I think.

Can anyone nudge me onto the right path?

-Jeff