On Apr 18, 2006, at 3:31 AM, Frank Burkhardt wrote:

On Sun, Apr 16, 2006 at 01:48:37PM -0500, Jeff Rush wrote:

Frank, I thought vocabularies were being de-emphasized though, in favor of the newer 'sources' component? Vocabularies were good for short lists of choices, but because it read them all into memory at once not so good at lazy evaluation. Sources supposedly uses an iterator and is good for both short and long lists, as I roughly
understand it.

No, actually, both can be used for infinite choices or finite choices. The primary difference to me is purity: sources break apart the token functionality--an aspect of display that widgets need--from the data definition.

Up until fairly recently (i.e., post-3.2, I believe) you couldn't even express a finite source.

There are still more vocabulary widgets than source widgets in zope.app.form.

Sources are slated to replace vocabularies, but the uptake has been slow: I don't know of a hard date.