On Apr 20, 2006, at 3:33 AM, Martin Aspeli wrote:

On Thu, 20 Apr 2006 04:35:47 +0100, Chris McDonough <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

The zodb code is on the blob-merge-branch of ZODB in Zope's subversion repository. I'm not sure when it's going to land in an actual ZODB release. I'm fighting a bunch of fires at the moment and it's on the backburner as a result. :-(

Is there a roadmap, to-do list or similar? Do you have an estimation of how complete it is at this stage?

There is a reasonably-up-to-date TODO.txt on the branch in src/ZODB/ Blobs . It's complete enough that we decided to make a "technical preview" release at some point, but I dropped the ball (necessarily, sorry).

Storage of large files is something that Plone and the other CMSs solve (to various degrees of success) at the wrong layer of the stack (although Railroad/Tramline/Hurry are really interesting). Development at the ZODB level scares me, but I'm sure there are people in various communities interested in getting this solved once and for all.

Sure. The best way to help is for people to try it out. There is a Zope 2 branch in SVN named http://svn.zope.org/Zope/branches/blob- integration-test that I believe has its externals set right to include the "blob-aware" version of ZODB. You should be able to check it out and just run it. There are examples of blob usage in the ZODB/Blobs/tests/test_basic.txt .

- C