hi there

Since it works when zope is not behind apache the problem is probably with Apache. Maybe the error logs will provide some clue. You could try looking in your apache error logs.
The error logs for Apache on OS X are in this directory:

/var/log/httpd

One of my favorite tricks in cases like this to open a terminal and run one of these:

tail -f /var/log/httpd/error_log

Then recreate the error (i.e upload a file larger than 70k), and if there are errors you'll see the error pop up in the terminal.

Let me know what you find out, I'm working on an zope app that will eventually require file uploads that I want to put behind apache and any tricks to make that work right would be good to know.

-jachin