On May 4, 2006, at 5:16 PM, Jachin Rupe wrote:

hi there

I have another "zope theory" question. I am working on designing a application in zope. I've been looking at a lot of examples and I am wondering how people are implementing different types of relationships between different persistent objects.

Depends on the relationship.

For instance I am going to be doing a lot with addresses. Naturally it would be nice to have persistent Address class. Then I would say that a Person has an Address and a Company has an Address.

My two different ideas are as follows:

1. Make Person and and Company containers that can each contain an Address. I don't really like this idea because it seems like container objects are for things like folders. This could be the best way though and I'm just not zoppie enough yet.

2. Add an Object for the Address to the schema for IPerson and ICompany (assuming I only need one address) or a List / Dict (if I want more than one address for each person or company). I like this idea better but I have yet to see any examples where someone does that which is making me a little nervous. Among other things I'd like to be able to see what happens when "addform"s and "editform"s get generated for things like this or at least be assured that's the way it is supposed to work.

This should work, and it seems like the right way to model this particular kind of relationship.

If you were to want to reuse address objects for multiple people then you might need some different choices (of which there are many approaches and implementations).