Chris Withers wrote:

The ZMI has a lot of widgets that people should want to re-use (generically: tree controls, file widgets, directory listings, etc, specifically: forms and configuration for the "generic" parts of zope)

It sounds like you're advocating writing every bit of UI from scratch, as you have to in Zope 2 due to the hard-coded nature of the ZMI, but I'm hoping I'm mistaken...

Am I?

Widgets are in, and those can be use independently of ZMI
Forms are in zope.formlib (or, again independent of ZMI

Want menus? Again, they are *used* by ZMI but you can define your own with the same machinery..