Chris Withers wrote:
Philipp von Weitershausen wrote:

I'm pretty sure a trademark like that can't be claimed. You'd be effectively trademarking a dictionary word, and I'm pretty sure that's not allowed...

Let's see, looking through the first pages of my English dictionary, it seems that "Apple" is also a dictionary word...

Yes, and you'll also notice that Apple's trademarks are not just for the word "Apple"... explicitly lists the word "Apple" as one of their trademark.

The point is that trademarks have a domain. So Apple Computers Inc. can trademark "Apple" for computers, Apple Records can trademark "Apple" for music. When Apple Computers Inc. started doing things in the music business, they got sued by Apple Records over a trademark issue. So, clearly it is possible to trademark dictionary words. And to sue someone over them :).