Hello zopers,

well this email is going to be quite long, I'm sorry I have many things to say

I saw the Zope 3 book, particulary the mapping (adapting) between the persistent objects defined there (a messageboard and a message objects) and some ftp files (and folders).

Now, I'd like to do the same with some, say, objects that are in a MySql database. I would love to realize a folders/files hierarchy that's mapped on my relational database !

I saw SqlAlchemy. It's impressive. I took a look at the Zalchemy code too, just to see wether I could borrow something.

I made a plan about how to achieve all this. I would like to expose it here and ask you, kind zopers, wether it's sane or there's something BIG I'm missing.

Because in the Zalchemy code I saw something I don't understand so I started to fear that there is something big I'm missing, indeed.

So, my plan is:

1) introduce all my tables and relationships between them. Something like users = Table('users', metadata, autoload = True)

and then overriding some table property where needed, also introducing some relationships, all what needed

2) define some interfaces as in the Zope 3 book, introducing containers and contained objects

3) define implementation classes for the interfaces that in their methods do something similar to what I saw in SQLAlchemyContainer, for example, which is, say,

   def __setitem__(self, name, item):
session = z3c.zalchemy.getSession() #in my case I still don't know where I'll take the session from
        session.save(item)
        session.flush([item])

4) adapt these components to files, as in the book example

Could this be a good plan ?

Because in the Zalchemy code I saw a strange class, that is:

class AlchemyDataManager(object):
    """Takes care of the transaction process in zope.
    """
    implements(IDataManager)

shall I take care of this transaction process too ?

Because I know nothing about it and saw not so many docs about the internal Zope3 machinery.

Thanks so much for any hint
Bye
Catonano