FB wrote:

I'd like to make URLs like

possible on my Zope3 server which should instantly redirect a
visitor to one of my site user's home pages.

Like Jonathan suggests, this smells like you want an Apache rewrite rule.

Is this possible? Of course, the answer ist yes (by patching
zope.traversing.adapters.traversePathElement) - but is there
a more Zope3ish way to do that?

zope.traversing has little to do with actual traversal. The naming is unfortunate. I should've been more careful when I moved that package.

zope.traversing and its machinery are about resolving paths, e.g. like they occur in TALES path expressions.

IPublishTraverse adapters are used when donig URL traversal (the "real" kind of traversal). You could customzie the IPublishTraverse adapter for ISite to detect ~username path elements. The default IPublishTraverse adapter for containers is in zope.app.container.traversing.