In my own skin I'm using

with no problem for either zcml principals nor pau principals.
Thanks Darryl, I got it working. <span> did the trick!

I remember I ran into this problem before as well, but that was about <div> and <span>. I remember when I used

it didn't work but when changed to:

it worked all fine.  BUT WHY ????

are these differences in tal documented somewhere? I would be glad if I knew them before-hand.

anyway, Thanks to Darryl, I am happy again now!

Regards,
Hassan