On 10/3/06, Thierry Florac <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
 - generally speaking, is it better to keep a single "big catalog", or a
set of many catalogs, each of them indexing a smaller set of classes ? I
suppose that querying is more simple with a single catalog, but what
about general performances ??

That completely depends on what you are gonna do.

I would say that you should have one catalog, except for specail
cases, where you index a certain type only to do a certain type of
lookups. (In those cases, you often don't even need a whole catalog,
but a BTree is often enough).

 - I have to index "main content", but also "reference" classes which
are used to classify my main content (example : I describe "forests" in
a first step and afterwards, my main contents can be affected to one or
more forests). In such a case, I want to make queries concerning forests
themselves, but also queries about main content concerning forests they
are attached to (to get, for example, every subject attached to a given
forest). In this case also, is it better to keep track of the reference
itself (myContent.forest = myForest) or of an attribute of the reference
(myContent.forestId = myForest.uniqueId) ??

I'd go with the attribute, although I guess a field index should be
able to index the object directly (haven't tried though).

 - perhaps a stupid question, but what's the best method to get the
equivalent of Zope2's "meta_type" indexing, to only get instances of a
given class, when queried indexes are applied to several classes
(example : I use adapters to handle workflow publication on a wide set
of classes, and I want to retrieve contents of a given class in a given
workflow step) ??

Hmm. What a good question. :)