Aaah. The light dawns. I found that I need to group all the generators
into a single manager in order for them to work together. So the
configuration that works is:

      <SampleManager
        name="Sample photofolder"

          <generator
            name="z3c.sampledata.site"
            />
          <generator
            name="tfws.gallery.photofolder"
            dependsOn="tfws.gallery.utility"
            contextFrom="z3c.sampledata.site"
            dataSource="tfws.gallery.photofolder"
            />
          <datasource
            name="tfws.gallery.photofolder"
            adapterName="tfws.gallery.photofolder"
            adapterInterface=".generator.IPhotoFolderDataSource"
            />
          <generator
            name="tfws.gallery.utility"
            dataSource="tfws.gallery.utility"
            contextFrom="z3c.sampledata.site" />
          <datasource
            name="tfws.gallery.utility"
            adapterName="tfws.gallery.utility"

adapterInterface="tfws.gallery.utility.generator.IPhotoUtilityDataSource"
            />
      </SampleManager>

Regards,
Darryl