Martin Aspeli wrote:
This may not be the right place for this question, but I'm wondering if anyone has experience or examples using zc.buildout with Zope 2.

I don't.  I'm using the immediate predecessor of zc.buildout
for zope Zope 2 projects though.

It seems a useful solution and one that will increase in importance, though so far I've not yet fully grasped what it does or how I use it in my brief encounters with it.

buildouts are about automating application assembly and installation.
They are somewhat like make in that regard, although they tend to work
at a higher level.  (In fact, our earlier buildouts were built using

A secondary benefit of zc.buildout is that it provides tools for
leveraging eggs in a much more controlled way that is allowed
by easy_install.  This will be helpful to Zope 2 in the future
especially as Zope 3 is split into eggs.

I'm wondering whether it is something I should pursue further in the context of Plone development (targeting primarily Zope 2.10 for now), but I don't know if it's even relevant to that platform or if this is unchartered territory.

The predecessors of zc.buildout have been used for Zope 2 applications
for several years at ZC.

BTW, if you want to learn more about zc.buildout, then a good way would
be to attend the minitutorial I'll be giving at PyCon nect month:

CTO                  (540) 361-1714
Zope Corporation