David Johnson wrote:
I would love this as well. I've written authentication stuff in Zope 3 (both Philips and Stephans books are outdated here),

Not true. The second edition of my book devotes a whole chapter to the PAU and shows how to implement a simple credentials plugin as well as an authenticator plugin (which happens to read very simple passwd-like files).

but I've never worked with PAM and python. I would be glad to provide
my half to anyone good with Python. Seems it should be pretty simple
if you know PAM (which I don't).

The biggest problem I see is that there doesn't seem to be maintained Python bindings for PAM (I could be wrong). I think the solution most people use is LDAP, since that can be interfaced to from both Zope and PAM.