Alec Munro wrote:
I've just succeeded in getting Zope authenticating against my LDAP
directory, using ldapadapter and ldappas. The directory itself is
brand new, and is currently only being used for Zope.
I am able to manually grant permissions to LDAP users, but I'm
wondering if there's a way to automatically grant an LDAP user certain
roles, depending on what groups he or she is in?

I imagine this could probably be done by extending ldappas, but it
seems like a common problem, so I thought it would be worth asking
here to see if anyone has any other ideas (or has already extended
ldappas themselves).

Alec,

roles are a concept only known to Zope 3's default security policy, they aren't really a part of the authentication system.

While the authentication only identifies principals according by matching login credentials to a user database, the security policy actually decides whether a principal has a certain permission or not (IInteraction.checkPermission). Zope's default security policy happens to use an intermediary concept between principals and permissions called "role".

The default policy retrieves the roles and permissions of a principal by adapting the current context object to IPrincipalRoleMap or IPrincipalPermissionMap, respectively (from zope.app.securitypolicy.interfaces). The default adapters for these store the maps persistently in annotations. The Grant view uses the same adapters to persistently modify this information. So, if you want your LDAP users to automatically have certain roles or permissions, one way to go would be to implement custom IPrincipalRoleMap or IPrincipalPermissionMap adapters. This would be a way to adjust the behaviour of the existing default security policy.

Another solution for your problem might be a custom security policy (perhaps based on Zope's default one) that inherently knows about which principals get which permissions / roles automatically. This coudl also be made pluggable so that you wouldn't have to write a new security policy every time those sets of permissions and roles change. From a brief look, it seems that this is what the "crowd" concept of schooltool.securitypolicy (http://source.schooltool.org/svn/trunk/schooltool/src/schooltool/securitypolicy/README.txt) seems to solve. It should be quite trivial to write an "LDAP" crowd (representing all principals from the LDAP database) and then grant that crowd the specified permissions.

HTH

Next Zope 3 training at Camp5: http://trizpug.org/boot-camp/camp5