Fast Primes wrote:
For the newbie, is there a conceptual overview of early Zope and it's subsequent developement into Plone and Zope3?

I understand that Zope3 is a complete rewrite from a clean sheet of Zope, right? If so, what flaws or impediments in regular Zope (pre 3), made this necessary--or external changes in web standards?

What is the relation of Plone to early Zope and Zope3?

Plone is a separate product with largely a separate community.

Most of your questions (except the ones regarding Plone) should be answered in my book, http://worldcookery.com. Chapter 1 contains a short overview over Zope's history. The chapter is available for free from Springer website:

http://www.springer.com/cda/content/document/cda_downloaddocument/9783540338079-c1.pdf?SGWID=0-0-45-328792-p173705712

Next Zope 3 training at Camp5: http://trizpug.org/boot-camp/camp5