you don't need anything special.. if you have orm mapped objects just write formlib forms for them, with a custom traversal to retrieve. if your doing sql by hand, then just write adapters for the form context that update the relevant rdb data.

as an example, alchemist constructs formlib forms that work against objects mapped from a relational database with no zodb footprint. its all z3 tech, but its targeting deployment for plone/z2.