Derek Richardson and I were just discussing this matter on freenode #vice ... I have no idea at this point if the suggested event model is better, but it seems like an implementation that safely handles the missing annotation on request, would be simpler and more efficient.

In other words, rather than listening for the creation event, why not provide an interface that can be adapted to any object - where the implementation assumes objects may not yet have a UUID stored as an annotation. When the first request comes in, if none is found, you generate it and annotate and persist the object then. I would think as long as this implementation catches the potential write conflict error, and handles by re-requesting the UUID annotation, the race case should also be eliminated.

Flaws with this line of thinking?

Derek Richardson-2 wrote:
Martin Aspeli wrote: