Marius Gedminas wrote:
I didn't expect it to work (workingenv and easy_install both use
/usr/bin/python, which is 2.5, and I don't think Zope 3 works on 2.5
yet), but it failed with an error I didn't expect:

  Traceback (most recent call last):
    File
"/home/mg/src/playing-with-mkzopeapp/lib/python2.5/zope.publisher-3.4.0b2-py2.5.egg/zope/publisher/base.py",
 line 27, in <module>
      from zope.exceptions.exceptionformatter import print_exception
  ImportError: cannot import name print_exception

(Isn't the size of the traceback scary?  Reminds me of Java-land
somewhat.)

Well, it's not *that* scary, given that you somehow got an old version of zope.exceptions which simply didn't have this print_exception thing.

zope.exceptions 3.2.0.2-py2.5 doesn't define a print_exception
function which zope-publisher 3.4.0b2-py2.5 expects.  Could this be
fixed with a versioned dependency in zope-publisher's setup.py?

I suppose zope.publisher should've required a version of zope.exceptions that is recent enough. When we switched to eggs, we generally didn't require any versions because by default the newest ones are taken.

Now, it turns out that zope.exceptions (and zope.thread, zope.deferredimport) was never released as a 3.4.x egg on http://download.zope.org/distribution which is probably why you ended up with zope.exceptions 3.2.0. I fixed that now and uploaded a 3.4.0b1 tarball. I also asked Christian Theune to delete the decoy on the CheeseShop.

Is it normal to see a zope.foo package versioned 3.2.something, or did
setuptools download an obsolete version from somewhere?  I also see
zope.thread version in the 3.3 range, while most of the other zope eggs
are in the 3.4 range.  A few are in the 3.5 version range.

They should all be in the >= 3.4 range. 3.5.x is ok, too. The 3.5.x ones contain features beyond the 3.4.x feature freeze. All packages have been "set free" as individual eggs, so it's ok for them to bump version numbers more or less quickly than others.