On 30 Jul 2007, at 19:14 , Florian Lindner wrote:
Am Sonntag, 29. Juli 2007 schrieb Philipp von Weitershausen:
On 29 Jul 2007, at 21:06 , Florian Lindner wrote:
Am Mittwoch, 25. Juli 2007 schrieb Philipp von Weitershausen:
Florian Lindner wrote:
Hello,
I use a Zope3 svn checkout for developement. What is the best way to make this working with the zc packages? I don't want to easy_install the entire Zope checkout but I also want my code to work with easy_install'ed versions of these packages. (don't want to change import statements and so on...) My favorite way would be to just do a svn checkout of the zc packages too but it seems to me that it won't work this way (or am I missing something?)

Of course you can get a checkout of any package you wish from svn.zope.org, including the zc.* packages. However, they'll likely have dependencies which you will have to resolve as well. Some might also define entry points which means they really want to be installed as eggs.

Why do you use checkouts? Do you actually change the packages while you're developing with them?

Have you looked at zc.buildout? Checkout the tutorial [1]. Also, pretty much any zope.* or zc.* package's sandbox is set up using buildout these days, providing you with lots of examples.

I'm fine with easy_install for installing Zope3 and the z3c packages but at this time I don't want to use it for my own projects. But when I install Zope3 (for example by easy_install zope.component) I don't find any mkzopeinstance. I know about zopeproject but that creates an egg what I don't want. How can I get mkzopeinstance with easy_install? I haven't found anything in PyPi.

It seems that you you want to install Zope 3 from eggs but don't want
your own projects to be eggs (hence you reject zopeproject). I don't
quite see the point of that reasoning. The whole idea of Zope being
available in egg form is that we can use egg machinery (deployment,
dependency management, etc.) for your own projects.

Anyway, mkzopeinstance isn't available when you install Zope 3 from
eggs because it's not egg-aware. It's completely geared towards the
full tree installation (from tarball or checkout). And frankly, as I
pointed out in the paragraph above, it doesn't make that much sense
in an egg-centric world anyway. I suggest zopeproject or the
zc.buildout recipes from zc.zope3recipes as alternatives.

Hi!
What I want is:
- have an runnable Zope3. I don't care if it is an SVN checkout, a released
version or as an egg

Then why don't you get a checkout if the other stuff troubles you so much? In my very first response to you I wrote:

"Of course you can get a checkout of any package you wish from svn.zope.org, including the zc.* packages. However, they'll likely have dependencies which you will have to resolve as well."

I think those a very clear instructions: get the package you want from subversion and also get its dependencies so that it works. What's the problem?

- be able to use the z3c packages
- don't need to work in a new build architecture

It seems that these requirements are diametrically opposed. I suppose working in the zc.buildout appears to be the least evil (or even a good at the end)
in your eyes, isn't it?

I'm not sure what "working in the zc.buildout" is supposed to mean. I don't consider zc.buildout evil. Not totally at least :).