George Wright wrote:
Gidday
I have been trying to set up a virtualenv as has been suggested several times on this list.
Following steps in section 1.4 of "Zope Component Architecture.pdf"
I have a path problem:

$ easy_install virtualenv
virtualenv 0.8.4 is already the active version in easy-install.pth
Installing virtualenv script to /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.4/bin Using /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.4/lib/python2.4/site-packages/virtualenv-0.8.4-py2.4.egg
Finished processing dependencies for virtualenv

$ virtualenv myvirtualenv
New python executable in myvirtualenv/bin/Python
ERROR: The executable myvirtualenv/bin/Python is not functioning
ERROR: It thinks sys.prefix is '/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.4' (should be '/Users/georgewright/myvirtualenv')
ERROR: virtualenv is not compatible with this system or executable
$

How do I fix that sys.prefix problem?

You update to a newer virtualenv version that has a fix for this problem. easy_install -U virtualenv. Or you install a proper Python executable that isn't messed up as a framework build (see below).

Following threads on virtualenv I gather I should be using a "non-system python installation". How do I do that?

By compiling it yourself. Download the Python-2.4.4.tgz tarball and do the configure --prefix=...; make; make install dance.

I highly recommend that everybody, no matter what platform s/he's on, does this. Default Python setups ("system pythons") are just too messed up and often tainted by the global installation of eggs.