On Nov 19, 2007, at 2:17 AM, Stephan Richter wrote:

On Sunday 18 November 2007, Chris McDonough wrote:
I disagree. This is not what this means to me. I think a KGS can
receive bug
fix releases, which the Zope 3.4 KGS does. However, no new feature
are allowed.

In the Linux world, these purposes are served by separate indexes
(e.g. Debian security releases are in their own index).  There's no
problem with what you're saying, it's just not a source for repeatable
installations, which is something that's required for many builds.

Yes, I agree. I accommodated those needs by having versioned links.html,
versions.cfg, controlled-packages.cfg, and now minimal/ files and
directories. Those will *never* change once released. (Of course there will be versions like "3.4.1dev" that change until "3.4.1" is released, simply so that I do not have to version every single little change to the KGS while
testing. But maybe that is even desirable at some point. We will see.)

Sorry, I don't think I understand the last sentence there but I get the sense from the rest of your message that the minimal index will not change once released, and new versions of it will be made for each "release" (however those are defined in a post-big-release world) and that will be beneficial for lots of people.

Right. Note that versions-*.cfg and links-*cfg are frozen. I am
probably going
to freeze minimal/ as have minimal-*/ too.

Will they will change for bugfixes?

Nope. That's the reason they are frozen. They are like tags in SVN.

OK, that's good to hear.

I have tried buildout, of course.  Massaging the index to meet some
set of expectations developers have of the client they use to install
the software is fine, you did a lot of work to do this, which is
appreciated, and it's your index.   But I suggest that we don't
discount the *really KGS* requirement, which is *absolutely repeatable
builds* (today, tomorrow, two years from now), and we let people know
that the KGS is not that.

Why? I have listened to the community very early on, reacting to the need having certain frozen output. A few weeks back I sent a mail to the zope-dev _[1] list outlining how I think the index can be used in buildout. Since then, functionality has only expanded and other combinations are possible

.. [1] http://mail.zope.org/pipermail/zope-dev/2007-November/030210.html

So if you go to http://download.zope.org/zope3.4/intro.html into the
sub-section "Version 3.4.0b2" you see a bunch of links. With the exception of the "Index" link, all other links point to versioned file and directories, which will not change. Also, any of the versioned files and directories do
not contain references to packages that are not controlled by the KGS.

Great. I'm happy to be wrong. A mention on the intro page about how this versioning scheme is meant to work going forward would be nice.

Nice job,

- C