Darryl Cousins wrote:
I'm trying to created an isolated environment using buildout. I had
understood that defining a custom build python would ensure that all
eggs are installed and compiled with the custom python.

An alternative to building Python with buildout is to build a single "clean" Python and use it for all their buildouts.

Some advantages of this approach are that your buildouts take less time to build from scratch (no building Python every time), and are a bit smaller (by about 115MB on my system). I keep lots of buildouts around (a few dozen), so those advantages add up.

Of course it also lets you stay away from the generally "dirty" system Python (just as the Python-per-buildout strategy does as well).
Benji York
Senior Software Engineer
Zope Corporation