Just to follow up on this issue.  I have created a bug report on
launchpad with a possible fix.  However, I do not know for sure that
this doesn't have other negative consequences.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/zope3/+bug/301226

Cheers,
Tim

On Thu, 2008-10-09 at 18:08 -0700, Marius Gedminas wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 09, 2008 at 08:42:21AM -0300, Tim Cook wrote:
> > I am having difficulty understanding this error.
> >
> > It occurs in the call:
> >  ontObj.parentArchetype = ObjectRef(oid,u'openehr',u'ARCHETYPE')
> >
> > The first parameter for ObjectRef is declared in the schema as:
> >
> >     refId = Object(
> >         schema=IObjectId,
> >         title = _(u'Id'),
> >         description = _(u'Globally unique id of an object (of type
> > ObjectId), regardless of where it is stored.'),
> >         required = True
> >         )
> >
> > If I print the parameter 'oid' it does correctly report:
> > <oship.openehr.rm.support.identification.objectid.ObjectId object at
> > 0x1b70210>
> >
> > the other two parameters for ObjectRef are declared as TextLines.
> >
> > The traceback is:
> > zope.schema.interfaces.WrongContainedType: [, []]
>
> Oh dear.  That's one of the worst error messages I've seen.
>
> > What I do not understand is how to interpret the [, []]
>
> By reading the source code.
>
> Object field validation actually attempts to validate the schema
> (IObjectId in this case) of the object you're trying to store (the
> ObjectId object, in this case).  If any of the fields cannot be
> validated during this nested validation, you get a WrongContainedType
> with the list of errors (one for each field).
>
> Apparently those errors have horrible __repr__s.  That ought to be
> fixed.
>
> > I'm not passing a list nor is the schema using a list.
> >
> > I realize that this may be pretty basic but I am missing something in
> > reading the error.
>
> I'd put a breakpoint in zope.schema._field, specifically, in
> Object._validate, and try to see what's wrong by single-stepping.
>
> Marius Gedminas
Timothy Cook, MSc
Health Informatics Research & Development Services
Skype ID == timothy.cook
*You may get my Public GPG key from  popular keyservers or   *
*from this link http://timothywayne.cook.googlepages.com/home*