Thanks for the suggestion, but it isn't the back button I'm concerned about.
I'm concerned about not passing sensitive information encoded in the URI to
an outside site via the HTTP_REFERER header that the browser creates. Our
site normally uses SSL to protect the information, but if we include any
links to outside pages and the user clicks one of those links, the browswer
will include the complete URI of the referring page in the HTTP_REFERER
header when it requests the outside page. MSIE doesn't create a problem
because it doesn't include the HTTP_REFERER header when you click on a
non-SSL link from within an SSL page, but the Netscape browser does.