Alexander N Gould wrote:
> I'm trying to install the PoPy Python module on my Yellowdog Linux system
> (a redhat clone for PowerPC hardware).  I'm sure it's a simple task, but I
> don't know how to do it.  Any suggestions or tips?  Thanks in advance.
> Building highways to reduce traffic is like loosening your belt to reduce
> obesity

First make sure that pyton-devel is installed on your system.
It's available at I think.

Untar PoPy-1.1.tar.gz and ZPoPyDA-0.3.tar.gz .
First you have to build PoPy.
On my system I had to modify the lib and include path in Setup and
in PoPymodule.c

PoPy PoPymodule.c -I/usr/local/pgsql/include -L/usr/local/pgsql/lib -lpr

#include <libpq-fe.h>
#include <libpq/libpq-fs.h>

Go on with:
make -f boot

You should now have the shared library .
Copy this file to python1.5/site-packages on your system.

Now you have to install zope-popyda-0.3
"make install" will place the Zope product to

Just move it to the Product folder of your Zope installation.
Restart Zope and it should work ;-)

Take a look at the README. It describes the format of the connection
It's different from that of PyGreSQLDA!
Also make sure that you hav set proper permissions on

BTW after i recognized some problems using PoPy I switched back to
1. When I try to connect to postgres 6.4 using PoPy the connect fails
   postgres.log: ERROR: parser: parse error at or near "transaction"

2. Whether Auto-commit mode is on or off on ZPoPyDA  the new postgres
7.0 syntax
 "select * from foo limit 20 offset 10" returns all records of foo and
not only 20 !
  With PyGreSQLDA it works :-)

Andreas Heckel                            [EMAIL PROTECTED]