Wilkinson Charlie E writes:
 >      1. Can LoginManager be (easily?) made to meet my specific need?

Probably, it includes a GenericUserSource, which is essentially a
clone of Generic User Folder (see below).

 >      2. Has anyone done an SQL UserSource yet, or can anyone
 >         give me a clue how to make one?

You should look at Generic User Folder, and the HowTo that tell how to
set it up with Postgressql.  Basically, you need to create a number of
SQLMethods to query your database and some wrappers for these
methods.  The SQLMethods are the only thing that has to care about the
details of your database format.