+----[ Curtis Maloney ]---------------------------------------------
| On Fri, 30 Jun 2000, Andrew Kenneth Milton wrote:
| > Just to make those people who think "It will never happen to me" think
| > twice, the Australian Government Treasury site was hacked and lots of
| > banking details about lots of small businesses was released.
| >
| > The Australian Treasury was very happy with their security too. Until
| > yesterday.
| Whilst I agree that "It will never happen to me" is a stupid stance, the ATO
| web site was not 'hacked'.  As an example, the Federal Police and the
| government are NOT doing anything to the person.

Last night I heard they were still looking for him. Of course ringing
JJJ first wasn't exactly a smart idea.

| What happened was somebody noticed that a number in the URL for a page of
| their details matched their ID number, and tried some others.  Upon finding
| they worked, he wrote a script to try numbers, munge the page, and e-mail
| people their details.

And the site is down 'indefinitely'.

Totally Holistic Enterprises Internet|  P:+61 7 3870 0066   | Andrew Milton
The Internet (Aust) Pty Ltd          |  F:+61 7 3870 4477   |
ACN: 082 081 472                     |  M:+61 416 022 411   | Carpe Daemon
PO Box 837 Indooroopilly QLD 4068    |[EMAIL PROTECTED]|