> On Sun, 9 Jul 2000, Ben Leslie wrote:
> > > One of my "favorite" issues with win/DOS has always been its use of CR+LF
> > > combinations. Why? Because all browsers interpret the thing as a SPACE.
> >
> > AFAIK this is an HTML thing, not a win/DOS thing. The HTML spec treats any
> > whitespace as a space.
> Well unix uses only cr by default, and browsers do not interpret that as a
> whitespace.

Which broswer do you use? I just test this by using the following HTML

<h1>This is a test</h1>
<h1>This is a te

(Typed in using `cat' on a dec machine).

Now, if browsers did not interpret cr as whitespace it should, in theory
display something like:

This is a test
This is a test

However, in the browsers I tested it with (Netscape - Linux, Lynx - DEC),
it is displayed as:

This is a test
This is a te st

This seems to be show that browsers _do_ interpret CRs as whitespace
(or have I misunderstood what you are saying?)