Here is my search interface and SQL method.

<dtml-var standard_html_header>

<form action="search_result" method="get">
<h2><dtml-var document_title></h2>
<input name="select_statment" value="select * from courses_description
<input name="where_statement" value=" where subject = 'ee'">
<input type="SUBMIT" name="SUBMIT" value="Submit Query">
<dtml-var standard_html_footer>

<dtml-var standard_html_header>
<dtml-in search_method size=50 start=query_start>
   <dtml-if sequence-start>

      <dtml-if previous-sequence>

        (Previous <dtml-var previous-sequence-size> results)

      </dtml-if previous-sequence>

          <th>COURSE NBR</th>

   </dtml-if sequence-start>

   <dtml-if sequence-end>

      <dtml-if next-sequence>

         (Next <dtml-var next-sequence-size> results)

      </dtml-if next-sequence>
   </dtml-if sequence-end>

  There was no data matching this <dtml-var title_or_id> query.

<dtml-var standard_html_footer>

<dtml-with search_query>
<dtml-call "REQUEST.set('left', select_statment + where_statement)">
<dtml-var left>

What I am trying to do is concatenate select_statment and
where_statement , into a single statement known
as left.   There will be more parameters when I get this to work.  Then,
I want to use left, which would be a valid SQL statement, and throw it
at my Z SQL method.  I don't
understand why I can't accomplish this, it doesn't seem like it should
be difficult to me.  Thank you for reading this and thanks in advance
for any help.

Sean G. Richards  : Web Technician/Treasurer PLUG
Purdue University : Engineering Computing Network