On Thu, 20 Jul 2000, David Trudgett wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> After having successfully installed the gvib InterBase DA on a test machine
> running Red Hat Linux 6.1, I'm not having the same luck on the production
> box running RH 6.0. Here's what happens:
>
> $ python
>  >>> import gvib
> Traceback (innermost last):
>    File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
>    File "/usr/local/Zope-2.1.6/lib/python/Products/gvibDA/gvib/gvib.py",
> line 46, in ?
>      import gvibBase
> ImportError: /usr/lib/libgds.so: undefined symbol: crypt

I'm perplexed. The only time I've run into this problem was when I forgot
to link with libcrypt. Deja didn't turn up anything useful, either.

I hate to point out the obvious, but, by default the Linux section in
Setup.in reads:

  #
  # Use this on Linux.
  #
  #gvibBase gvibBase.c -D$(GVDEF) -I$(PYDIR) -L$(IBLIB)  -lgds -lcrypt

Note the comment. You need to comment the Solaris line, and uncomment the
Linux line. In reality, the link with libcrypt is the only thing
differentiating the two.

Unfortunately, the compile will still succeed without -lcrypt being
specified. You won't see the problem until you try to import the module,
as seen above.

> so is there anyone here who can suggest how I might fix this? (By the way,
> the compile went through without a problem, and there was a -lcrypt on the
> appropriate Setup.in line).

One other thought. The first time you run:

  make -f Makefile.pre.in boot

a Setup file is created. If you then change Setup.in, you need to delete
Setup and re-execute the above line. Otherwise, the changes won't be
reflected.

> I've also emailed the author of the package, but I thought it's probably
> more likely a generic setup problem, rather than anything to do with the
> product itself.

I'm sure it's something simple. Stay in touch with Bob and I; we'll help
you get it working.

> Thanks.
>
> David Trudgett

Thank you,

--Jeff

---
Jeff K. Hoffman                               704.849.0731 x108
Chief Technology Officer                      mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Going Virtual, L.L.C.                         http://www.goingv.com/