At 2000-07-21 00:40 -0400, Jeff Hoffman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>On Thu, 20 Jul 2000, David Trudgett wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > After having successfully installed the gvib InterBase DA on a test
> machine
> > running Red Hat Linux 6.1, I'm not having the same luck on the production
> > box running RH 6.0. Here's what happens:
> >
> > $ python
> >  >>> import gvib
> > Traceback (innermost last):
> >    File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
> >    File "/usr/local/Zope-2.1.6/lib/python/Products/gvibDA/gvib/",
> > line 46, in ?
> >      import gvibBase
> > ImportError: /usr/lib/ undefined symbol: crypt
>I'm perplexed. The only time I've run into this problem was when I forgot
>to link with libcrypt. Deja didn't turn up anything useful, either.
>I hate to point out the obvious, but, by default the Linux section in
> reads:
>   #
>   # Use this on Linux.
>   #
>   #gvibBase gvibBase.c -D$(GVDEF) -I$(PYDIR) -L$(IBLIB)  -lgds -lcrypt
>Note the comment. You need to comment the Solaris line, and uncomment the
>Linux line. In reality, the link with libcrypt is the only thing
>differentiating the two.
>Unfortunately, the compile will still succeed without -lcrypt being
>specified. You won't see the problem until you try to import the module,
>as seen above.
> > so is there anyone here who can suggest how I might fix this? (By the way,
> > the compile went through without a problem, and there was a -lcrypt on the
> > appropriate line).
>One other thought. The first time you run:
>   make -f boot
>a Setup file is created. If you then change, you need to delete
>Setup and re-execute the above line. Otherwise, the changes won't be

Jeff hit the nail on the head with that one. I've replied to him personally
and thanked him. What I had done was inadvertently run the make -f before I
had edited the file. I then edited the file as I should have and
re-ran make -f without realising I had to delete the file called "Setup".
Ignorance is a curse. Anyway, this little tip will no doubt help someone
else in the future.

David Trudgett