Jørgen Skogstad wrote:
> Sven Hohage wrote:
> >
> > Hallo Jorgen,
> > I write you cause I've got a question about Zope.
> > You've posted on the mailing list on my question with the filesize of
> > the data.fs or in ZEO ZSS.
> > My problem is that I'd like to know which Unix - versions don't have
> > this filesize limitations and if there is a linux version without that
> > limit.
> > Or do you know another way to solve this problem??
> >                                          Many thanks
> >                                                          Sven
> Hmm.. well .. I can tell you what I know as of today. Linux
> has this limitation as of today. At least all the variants I
> have come over (mostly Red Hat and Suse). The limitation is in
> the filesystem implementation itself; meaning that the number
> of "references" that can be created cannot exceed the address
> limit of 2gb.

Not quite true. The problem only exixts in Linux on 32 bit x86 hardware.
Wherever Linux is 64 bit, the problem is non-extant.

BTW, both RedHat and Suse (and Debian, IIRC) have distribions for the Alpha platform.

Also, all this is detailed several times in the archives.

Bill Anderson

Do not meddle in the affairs of sysadmins, for they are easy to annoy,
and have the root password.