Chris Withers wrote:

> > To do what you want, you probably want something like:
> >
> > <dtml-call
> >
>"manage_changeProperties(counter_value=getProperty(counter_value,counter_starting_value-1)+1)">
>
> Erk, maybe this:
>  <dtml-call
>

>"manage_changeProperties(counter_value=getProperty('counter_value',getProperty(counter_starting_value,0)-1)+1)">
>
> Chris

Words simply cannot express my gratitude. Can you clue me in a bit more
on the functions you called. Looks like they are
manage_changeProperties(), getProperty(). I'm guessing these are both
Python functions. Where are they documented, so I can learn more?

You mentioned that (1) DTML is not a programming language, and that (2)
ZODB is a bad place to start on Zope programming. By these two points,
should I infer that learning how to write external methods in Python
*is* a good place?

Can you, or someone else on the list, give me a suitable homework
assignment for a first Zope programming project? I was toying with the
idea of writing a checkbook register in Zope, but I think it might be
beyond my capacities right now.

Thanks again,

Rick
--